Tuesday, April 22, 2008

One More Argument About the DH

JWG:  Mets have bases loaded, 1 out for Delgado…Sounds like a double play/strike out/pop out waiting to happen.

AML: Sorry, but he sucks!

JWG: Did I call that or what?  And then Easley popped out.  Honestly, he just shouldn't bat against lefties ever.  He is hitting .188 against them this year.  So I guess he shouldn't' be hitting, period.

AML: No designated fielder in the National Leauge?

JWG: Ha, no.  Hate the DH.

AML: How come?

JWG: I just like pitchers hitting, I think it adds a more interesting element to the game.

AML: The DH makes the game infinitely more exciting.

JWG: I don't consider a guy who is so bad at baseball and can't play the field trying to hit a home run every time that exciting.

AML: Fans like hitting.

JWG: Not me.  I'm a Met fan, we've gotten used to minimal offense.

AML: I think it's much better to have the DH.  It even keeps some guys in the game who otherwise would have been done.  No way Frank Thomas makes it to 500 homeruns without the DH.  Same for Thome.

JWG: Sure, doesn't mean that's a good thing.

AML: It kept George Brett's career going, Edgar Martinez too.  All were fantastic hitters.

JWG: I think being able to play both sides of the game is pretty important.

AML: You are telling me that Damion Easley is more valuable than someone who can hit 30 hrs?  Or that you would rather see Fausto Carmona hit than Travis Hafner?

JWG: Yes, I would.

AML: I mean that is just insane.

JWG: Which is why I appreciate a good hitting pitcher.

AML: How many good hitting pitchers are there, 5 out of 300?

JWG: I'd say maybe 10.

AML: There is now ay you could name 10, not a chance.  You would just be making up names after 5.

JWG: How are we defining good?

AML: You came up with it.  I think it should be defined the same as a good hitting position player, should be equal.  So don't give me the "he's a great bunter" because if he were a position player, you'd expect more than that to consider him a "good hitter."

JWG: Livan Hernandez, Micah Owings, Greg Maddux, John Smoltz, Tom Glavine, Kerry Wood, Carlos Zambrano, Tim Hudson.  That's eight.  Dennis Cook was great, but he's no longer in baseball.

AML: What is your criteria?

JWG: They handle the bat well.  And I've seen them all hit before.  Santana is apparently a very good hitter.

AML: By the way, Smoltz is a career .161 hitter and has not hit over .200 since 1999.  I cannot accept him as a good hitter.

JWG: Since 1999, that's a silly statement.

AML: Wood is .171, under .200 every year except for two.

JWG: When you get 50 at bats a season, it's a lot different.

AML: I mean, if you are a "good hitter" shouldn't you get more than 10 hits in 50 tries?  Jason Giambi "handles the bat well," does that make him a good hitter?

JWG: He absolutely does not.

AML: How about Jason Kendall, does he?

JWG: Yes.

AML: Is he a "good hitter?"

JWG: He was, he's old now, I don't think he is still a good hitter or handles the bat well.  I meant in the past tense.  Last I checked, Giambi was not a DH.

AML: Glavine is a career .187 hitter.  Is he a "good hitter" because he throws down four solid bunts a year?  Tim Hudson: .160.  I need a better definition if you are going to use these guys.

JWG: .200 for a pitcher is like hitting .310 for a regular hitter.

AML: SO why not just use a "regular hitter?"

JWG: Only if they played the field also.

AML: Why would you rather have someone who bats .200 when you can have one who bats .300?

JWG: Why should you give a guy a free pass from hitting? It's like having the designated fielder for the pitcher in little league.

AML: Why have an almost guaranteed out?

JWG: We are never going to settle this.

AML: Never.

JWG: The DH ruins the game of baseball.

AML: It helps save baseball.

JWG: It takes away the basic principle of 9 against 9 and makes it 9 ½ against 9 ½.

AML: As your favorite "good hitter" says "chicks dig the long ball" and I don't see pitchers knocking them out left and right.  Plus, as long as it's the same number on both sides, who cares?  Also, it's really 9 vs. 9 if the pitcher and DH are each half a player.

JWG: So then you'd be fine if basketball was 5 on 5, and every time they went on offense another guy just came in because he was a good shooter, and the other guy stayed on the other end because he played defense?

AML: You mean like Mutumbo?  Or Eddy Curry on the other end?

JWG: Yes, but with someone actually just coming in.

AML: Clearly that doesn't work in basketball, it's not comparable at all.

JWG: Oh well.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good day !.
might , probably curious to know how one can manage to receive high yields .
There is no need to invest much at first. You may start to get income with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you thought of all the time
The firm represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with offices everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become an affluent person?
That`s your choice That`s what you really need!

I`m happy and lucky, I began to get income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to select a correct companion who uses your savings in a right way - that`s it!.
I take now up to 2G every day, and my first deposit was 1 grand only!
It`s easy to join , just click this link http://tekibocir.exactpages.com/paxaxet.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take our chance together to feel the smell of real money

Anonymous said...

Good day !.
You re, I guess , perhaps curious to know how one can collect a huge starting capital .
There is no need to invest much at first. You may commense to get income with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you need
The company incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

It is based in Panama with offices everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become a happy investor?
That`s your chance That`s what you wish in the long run!

I`m happy and lucky, I started to get real money with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to select a proper companion who uses your savings in a right way - that`s it!.
I earn US$2,000 per day, and my first deposit was 1 grand only!
It`s easy to join , just click this link http://evufirara.arcadepages.com/gonyduwe.html
and go! Let`s take our chance together to become rich

Anonymous said...

Hello!
You may probably be very interested to know how one can manage to receive high yields on investments.
There is no need to invest much at first.
You may begin earning with a sum that usually is spent
for daily food, that's 20-100 dollars.
I have been participating in one project for several years,
and I'm ready to share my secrets at my blog.

Please visit blog and send me private message to get the info.

P.S. I make 1000-2000 per daily now.

http://theblogmoney.com

Anonymous said...

Hi!
You may probably be very curious to know how one can manage to receive high yields on investments.
There is no need to invest much at first.
You may begin earning with a money that usually goes
for daily food, that's 20-100 dollars.
I have been participating in one project for several years,
and I'm ready to let you know my secrets at my blog.

Please visit my pages and send me private message to get the info.

P.S. I make 1000-2000 per daily now.

[url=http://theinvestblog.com] Online investment blog[/url]

Anonymous said...

Good day, sun shines!
There have been times of troubles when I didn't know about opportunities of getting high yields on investments. I was a dump and downright stupid person.
I have never thought that there weren't any need in big starting capital.
Now, I feel good, I begin take up real money.
It gets down to choose a correct partner who utilizes your funds in a right way - that is incorporate it in real business, and shares the income with me.

You can ask, if there are such firms? I'm obliged to answer the truth, YES, there are. Please get to know about one of them:
http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]

Anonymous said...

Nice brief and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you for your information.